“In working with young people, do not try to call them back to where they were and do not try to call them to where you are, as beautiful as that place may seem to you. You must have the courage to go with them to a place that neither you nor they have ever been before.”
Face to Face Mentoring is a school and community-based mentoring project that promotes wellbeing to those young people who are referred or self-refer to the service. Mentoring can take many forms and emphases. Face to Face focuses on supporting young people aged 11-17 to:
- Recognise and understand stress
- Improve their emotional literacy
- Adopt helpful strategies for self-care
- Talk through challenges they face in their lives
- Talk about faith if a young person initiates this conversation
- Develop empathy
- Communicate more effectively in different contexts
- Develop resilience
Crucially it is about meeting young people where they are at and supporting them to set their own goals.
For further information contact Mark Hutchings, Youth Minister at BGMC.